AuthorMessage
Dinge
Admin

PostSubject: Practical Guide to IRC   Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Practical Guide to Internet Relay Chat
a.k.a.
IRC.
1 - IRC Basics

If you're not new to IRC and just wish to get to the command list: Click Here.

1.1 - Commands.

IRC is a chat environment with a command based interface. To perform an action, you need to type a command in a chat session. A server command always starts with a backslash, followed by the name of the command. If a line does not start with a backslash the server will not execute it as a command but will send it as a message in your current room.

For instance:
Code:
/quit  -  This command terminates your IRC session.
quit  -  This will be taken as a chat message, people will take this like you're saying: "quit".
 /quit  -  This will also be taken as a chat message because the line starts with a space, not a backslash.

1.2 - Chatrooms.

IRC is divided up into chatrooms or shorter: rooms. A room name always starts with a hashtag '#'. For instance the room #Dank is a public room. To enter a room, we use the command "/join #room".
Every alliance has their own channels, one public channel and one private channel. The public channel is accessible to everybody while the private room is reserved for people in the alliance only. Our public room is #dank while our private room is #TNE.

For instance:
Code:
/join #dank  -  This command will make you enter the chatroom #dank.

1.3 - Nicknames.

To send out a message on IRC you need a nickname, this nickname can be anything you want, provided no one else has dibbs on it. To get dibbs on your nick, you have to assign an email address and a password to it. To change your nickname, we use the command: "/nick MyNewNickname".

For instance:
Code:
/nick Waddup  -  This command will change your nickname to Waddup.

1.4 - Chat Messages.

To send a message to the room you're in, you simply type a line that does NOT start with a backslash. Any line meeting this demand will show like you're saying it in IRC. Alternatively you can use: "/msg #room Your Message" To send a private message to another IRC person, we use the command "/msg DesiredCorrespondent Your Message".

For instance:
Code:
/msg #Dank Hello everybody!  -  This command will have the same result as typing "Hello everybody!" in the room #Dank. It's a chat message from you pointed to the entire room.
/msg Dinge Hello dude!  -  This command will send a Personal Message (or PM) to Dinge saying: "Hello dude!".

2 - Getting Started, First Time on IRC

There are several ways to get connected to IRC, we use clients to do that. The easiest client to use is mibbit, it's a web based IRC client so you don't need to download anything. Mibbit is recommended for first time IRC users and is the only client we'll be discussing in this guide. To get started on IRC, follow these steps:

1. Visit the URL by clicking here.
  2. Fill in your KoC name and click "go".
    --> At this point you should have entered the chatroom #dank, our public chatroom.
  3. Try and say "Hi", people will surely answer.
  4. Register your nickname using this command: "/msg nickserv register password email"
    --> This will assign a password and email of choice to your nickname.
  5. Identify yourself by using the command: "/msg nickserv identify password".
    --> This tells the server it's really you (since only you know your password).

Step four and five seem to be the biggest problems for IRC noobs so I will explain these in detail by showing screenshots of an example. Let's say this is my personal data:

Kings of Chaos name = Batman.
    Desired password = baked1337.
    Current email-adress = Batman@gmail.com

Step 1 - I visit the URL

Step 2 - I fill in my KoC username: Batman and hit go.

Step 3 - I say Hi and people respond.

Step 4 - I register using the command "/msg nickserv register Batman@gmail.com baked1337"
Step 5 - Whenever I return to IRC I register my nick using the command: "/msg nickserv identify baked1337"

If you have successfully completed all the precious steps, you are now ready to use IRC. Try to write down the identify command if you're too lazy to learn it by heart. If you don't identify within one minute, you'll be stripped from your nick and get a random nick (like Guest29320).

If this happened, you have to change your nick to your registered nick by typing "/nick YourNick". In my case; "/nick Batman". And then try to identify again by using the before mentioned identify command.

Last edited by Dinge on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 31 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dinge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Practical Guide to IRC   Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:50 pm

3 -- General IRC commands.

The server commands on IRC can be divided up in four categories, nick service commands, channel service commands, host service commands and server commands.

3.1 - Nick service commands a.k.a. Nickserv commands.

Code:
/msg Nickserv command parameters  -  General syntaxis for nickname service commands.
/ns command parameters  -  Shorter but equally good version of the general syntaxis.
/ns help  -  Opens a help menu in IRC concerning nick service commands.
--> List of Nickname Service Commands.

3.2 - Channel service commands a.k.a. Chanserv commands.

Code:
/msg Chanserv command parameters  -  General syntaxis for channel service commands.
/cs command parameters  -  Shorter but equally good version of the general syntaxis.
/cs help  -  Opens a help menu in IRC concerning channel service commands.
--> List of Channel Service Commands.

3.3 - Host service commands a.k.a. Hostserv commands.

Code:
/msg Hostserv command parameters  -  General syntaxis for host service commands.
/hs command parameters  -  Shorter but equally good version of the general syntaxis.
/hs help  -  Opens a help menu in IRC concerning host service commands.
--> List of Host Service Commands.

3.4 - Server commands.

Code:
/command parameters  -  General syntaxis for server commands.
-->List of Server Commands.

If you're looking for a certain command, first analyze what it is you're looking to do. If it's something nickname related your best chances are to check the nickserv command list. If it's not on there, try the server command list.
Back to top Go down

Practical Guide to IRC
Page 1 of 1